The Shining | 1981, Dir. Stanley Kubrick
I’m reading what is written and I’m laughing.
Read it, guys.
The nerve!….This goes out to all the spoonies.
a handicapped spot, placed the sticker in my mirror and continued into the store. Upon returning to my car I found a note written by someone, it said “Shame on you, you are NOT handicapped. You have taken a space that could have been used by an actually handicapped person. You are a selfish young lady.” I was LIVID. How can someone be so ignorant and cowardly? They clearly saw me walk out of my car, why not approach me? Not all handicaps are visible. I would love for you to share this story. It would help spread awareness for CF, but it would help open people’s minds to what handicapped really is.
Thank you for your time”
A friend of mine fell over 20 feet and basically broke half his ribs, punctured his lung, broke his arm in three places that required many surgeries to fix and messed up a nerve in his leg. He had to walk with a cane for a long time after it and some lady in a restaurant thought he was just walking with a cane for the hell of it and she ripped it from his hands and grabbed his messed up arm and shook him and told him he was an awful human being for pretending to be handicapped. What the fuck people?
This is what real ableism looks like.
I have ulcerative colitis, an autoimmune disorder which causes my body to attack my colon, and I qualify for one of those stickers. I’m scared to get one, though, because I look healthy and whole.
A mutual friend of mine’s mother has severe fibromyalgia (that gives her a handicapped pass) and as she was walking to her car after buying her groceries, a man actually lunged at her and started yelling at her about her “not looking handicapped”. It left her mother shaking and crying, of course, and it just makes me so angry how awful and ignorant some people can be.
Not all handicaps are visible
Can I just pin this sentence on every lamppost all over the planet please
I get this all the time with my knee problems if i’m not wearing my supports
People who act like it’s a POCs responsibility to be cordial and composed when interacting with racists instead of it being a person’s responsibility to not be a fucking shit-stain racist baffle me
Pine Lawn Police were involved in a pursuit after a vehicle fled from state troopers in the Ferguson area Friday morning.
Four White guys with multiple weapons were taken into custody. Not shot and kill and left out on the road. They were arrested and given due process. They’re names aren’t leaked. We’re not seeing invasions into their facebooks for impeding trials. We’re not even seeing mug shots. We don’t know if they’re anarchist, klan or anything at all. We just know they left the scene of a armed chase alive.
This is the difference and the outrage.
they always show us the truth with their actions
HM AND THEYRE STILL ALIVE TO TELL THE TALE. Interesting.
reblog if girls
GENERATION MAKE YOU FEEL THE HEAT
AND WE’RE DOING IT WE CAN’T BE BEAT
WE’RE BORN TO WIN BETTER TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS
'CAUSE WE GET IT IN
These two things have been mashed up before, but I tried to come up with some new combinations. (And more are on the way, so stay tuned!)
i actually think it speaks more to the fact that there are black women and poc in every scene BUT the ballet one
there are asians, latinas, black ppl doing every other dance but ballet making it the “white dance”. the twerk scenes ARE unnecessary/problematic but the end result is an even stronger “classical dance” = white and then there’s everything else.
which is a big problem in perceptions of dancing as well — not only that twerking is used to sexualize and objectify black women, but that only white women are seen doing “graceful, classical, etc” ballet.
ETA: this is NOT in defense at taylor swift, just a general additional commentary to how and WHY it’s so problematic has another layer
this is important please spread
The New Jim Crow
1. Ferguson, Missouri has a population of approximately 21,000 people — roughly 75% of those residents are Black
2. The Ferguson police department has around 530 cops —less than 5 of them are Black
3. Ferguson had *zero* homicides for all of 2014 —until Michael Brown was murdered by Darrin Wilson
4. Things you should know: Five Myths About Black-on-Black Crime
5. Michael Brown was 18yrs old and was about to begin college. Brown had no criminal record, and despite the Ferguson PD’s smear campaign, Mike Brown PAID FOR the cigars —those facts are all important and should be known, but even if Brown was a high school dropout with prior arrests who stole the cigars, 1) it wouldn’t have made his life any less valuable, 2) we have a court system and those are not capital offenses and 3) it doesn’t change the fact that the cop who killed him, Darren Wilson, had no idea about Brown’s personal history when he executed Brown. Wilson saw only a Black teen deemed either “too uppity” or “suspicious” because of his skin color
6. Five examples: The Militarization of the police
7. It’s deeply Institutional: Police view Black Children As Less Innocent
8. So please - don’t get it twisted